View Single Post
  #4   IP: 38.118.52.41
Old 06-24-2006, 07:19 AM

Hello Catalina 1771,

Here are the answers to your questions:

1) The boat has a new fiberglass high lift muffler. The anti siphon valve was not reinstalled. Does it make sense to reinstall the anti siphon valve, and will that help a little with this back flow problem?

Short answer: Absolutely. Long answer: Absolutely.

2) If you close the seacock and open it only after the engine starts, aren't you going to have some impeller failures because the pump will turn without a water source?

Even if you're starting the boat alone, you won't likely damage the impeller in just the few seconds it takes to climb down in the boat and open/close the valve.

3) If you think there may be water in the muffler, is there an easy way to drain it?

I don't know about your muffler, but most mufflers have a drain plug in their base to drain the water during winterizing.

4) I have noticed that the temperature of the engine will get up to and over 200 degrees early in the startup warm up, for a short period of time before backing to 190-180? Is this a function of the engine getting hot before the thermostat opens? It doesn't last long but it makes me a little nervous.

It does sound (at a minimum) like the thermostat is sticking when you first start the engine. I recommend that you remove, clean and inspect the thermostat in a pot of hot water to verify its operation. It should start to open by 150 degrees, and be fully open by 185.

5) Finally is there a problem with a Catalina 30 having water siphon back into the engine if the boat heels?

Yes, Catalina 30's are very prone to getting water back into the engine from the exhaust system. The center cabin location of the engine allows practically no space to construct the hot section (or dry section) of the exhaust system so that it extends upward before it drops down and into the inlet of the fiber glass water lift muffler.

Water typically backs up during long periods of cranking a hard starting engine, while healing during sailing, and even while the boat sits idle for several days with the raw water through-hull open and the siphon valve being stuck closed.

The best protection against water backing up from the exhaust system of a Catalina 30 is to be religious in keeping the raw water through-hull valve closed anytime that the engine is not running and by keeping your anti-siphon valve clean and functional.

Best regards,

Don Moyer
The Following User Says Thank You to Don Moyer For This Useful Post:
TimBSmith (09-07-2020)