View Single Post
  #6   IP: 207.118.20.35
Old 07-22-2019, 06:56 PM
Afourian MVP

Is it stern squat, or stern wave? It's normal for a displacement sailboat at speed to have water rise up near the stern. I know that when my boat (which is about 1500 pounds heavier than designed) gets moving fast, there is a quarter wave near the transom that you can easily reach out and touch, less so on the windward side. At hull speed, which is about 6.5 knots, it looks like it might come up on the deck. My A4 cannot quite reach hull speed, so this happens sailing occasionally. The exhaust outlet in the counter under the transom is definitely underwater then, with no ill effects. There is a gate valve in the exhaust near the outlet to keep salt water out of the exhaust in a following sea, but I have never closed it. The exhaust hose goes up at least 2 feet, just under the cockpit seat, before it drops down to the engine. I have stern squat when there are 6 adults in the cockpit, and the water tank in the bow is empty. Makes it harder to sail to windward, or maneuver in tight spaces, but not a big problem.