Thread: Just an Update
View Single Post
  #9   IP: 137.200.1.109
Old 07-16-2019, 08:19 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,024 Times in 719 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SPNetricks View Post
I striped the engine of the old wires and completely rewired it according to the Moyer A4 wiring diagram using the specified color and gauge of wire. The only difference between the diagram and my A4 is that I used a 20a and 40a breaker instead of fuses. Diagram attached.
I do have my concerns about the oil pressure. Maybe I should adjust the O/P adjustment screw a little. On the return trip from the yard I will be a little more confident and increase the speed and rpm's to get more readings. As I said, I was taking it easy on the way to the yard.
That diagram is accurate as far as being how many A4 powered boats were wired from the factory, but it is not a good way to wire a boat at all. The long run of relatively thin wire from the alternator to the ammeter and back does nothing for good charging and the meter is not ever going to work as designed, it only shows alternator output. You will never see it go negative and unlike what you think a center-zero ammeter should read, sitting on 0 with the engine on is bad. If you want to read alternator amperage, get a meter with a shunt.
Try this way:
Attached Images

Last edited by joe_db; 07-16-2019 at 08:26 AM.