View Single Post
  #21   IP: 138.88.162.86
Old 10-13-2008, 02:53 PM

I can tell how foul my bottom and prop is by my maximum speed. With everything clean I can reach 6.2 kts. With a little bit of slime on the bottom and 6-10 small to medium size barnacles on the prop (mostly by the hub) I'll see 5.8 kts. We get lots of light wind days on the Ches. Bay so a clean bottom is a must for me. Your results will vary, but the process is the same. Next spring, measure your maximum speed right after launch.

MMO is 8oz. per 10 gallons of gas, or until you see it smoke. That's double the recommendation on the bottle. Since you are seeing smoke, go ahead and cut back to 4oz. per 10 gallons of gas. Hopefully that will clear it up.

My engine intake thru hull goes to a T-fitting before the strainer. It is capped with a garden hose threaded bronze fitting, so I can close the thru hull and hook up a section of garden hose. I then fill a five gallon bucket with water and dunk the hose in it. With this arrangement you can run your engine on land all you like over the winter.