Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimF
    • Jun 2007

Rusty coupler replaced, new stuffing box and cutlass bearing!

I well I finally got back to the boat now that Maine is iced out, and things went back together nicely. Not without some swearing as the output and shaft coupler did not line up the first time. I then removed the shaft coupler from the shaft and bolted it to the output coupler. I let the stuffling box ride free and slid the shaft back up to the coupler, it had to be coaxed all the way in with a rubber mallet but it went in and I believe without being misaligned.

Took the opportunity to replace the delrin rudder bearing because the rudder had to be dropped to move the shaft in and out and also shim the rudder head a bit. Feeling good about getting this project done.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Easy Rider
      Afourian MVP
      • Feb 2007

Jim, Really enjoyed following your post as I also have a Ranger 29 so I know what you must have been up against. I could feel your pain as I know how you would have had to twist yourself into an upside down pretzel to get near to the work area. Then there is the problem of trying to back yourself up and out. Nice job done.

Chuck
      Chuck

71 Ranger 29

Comment

• hanleyclifford
        Afourian MVP
        • Mar 2010

Nice Job!

You have accomplished everything you set out to do. Now you have good working room for adjustment. Love those split couplings.

Comment

• DDO
          • Dec 2010

About to go through this on my Ranger 29...

I'm really dreading the big spring haulout, but you survived so I guess I will too. My Ranger 29 has that same look of rusty hunk with no room for servicing the stuffing box... just like your photo! So after ignoring that area for 12 years, I'll be adding this into the 2020 haulout. I'd been told the rudder can stay, sigh; guess not. And so on. The new split coupling from Moyer is my Christmas present. I have to do all work myself as there is no one here who will go near my Atomic 4 and so far I've kept a great runnin' boat! So, if you see this, let's stay in touch and I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks for the very useful thread!

Comment

• nyvoyager
            • Jun 2012

DDO - I would try to liberally douse the whole thing w/ PB Blaster several times over a few weeks, not forgetting to tap with a hammer each time. If there is any head left at all on the 3 coupling bolts, I would 1st try wrenching them off, should that fail - vice grips, and if all else fails - drill them out - in that order. You may be surprised. Mine came out easily after PB treatment.
            God Speed.

Comment

• ndutton
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2009

Is there any room above and forward in the engine space to move the engine forward a little to gain stuffing box room when the job is finished? Even if it means modifying the galley steps and a longer shaft?
              Neil
              1977 Catalina 30
              San Pedro, California
              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

Working...
              X