View Single Post
  #1   IP: 108.88.37.1
Old 09-05-2019, 05:27 PM
Frequent Contributor

Scavenger tube loose

Hello!
I've recently purchased a Catalina 27 with an A4 and am attempting to isolate the source of a gasoline odor. While poking around I noticed there appears to be some fluid on the scavenger tube fitting, and I am starting to think this is a source. It may also just be Permatex but the odor says gas.

While reaching in there (it's a tough reach) I found the scavenge tube elbow fitting on the carb is not tight. Given where it is, I'm not actually sure it can be tighetned with the carb on. So the questions are:

Should it be tight?
If so, is it possible to tighten with the carb attached?
Also, it appears that the elbow must be parallel to the engine which may account for it having not being tight. Not sure how to address that.

At this point I'm having trouble even getting in a position to work on it, so up front advice would be appreciated before I contort myself into the lower reaches of the port locker.

Also, fwiw I realize there shouldn't really be much fuel getting picked up by the tube and wouldn't be surprised if I've over used the choke and caused more gas than usual to be getting in there. The engine was somewhat difficult to start when I bought the boat but new plugs, gapped correctly last week has it running smooth and starting with a lot less choke.