View Single Post
  #11   IP: 68.111.10.119
Old 04-24-2017, 11:23 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoasting View Post
Just finished adjusting all valves and poured more mmo into all cylinders to run the engine for a bit again...Mainly trying to see if valve adjustment would fix the cylinder #2 compression to make it match the others...
So after valve adjustment twice and more mmo, I am still getting about 80 psi at most from cylinder 2 and it won't hold the pressure...
My question then is, I suppose something is wrong with the piston rings or at worst, needs cylinder honing.
I think the carb is due for an overhaul...I am learning as I go and have learned a ton from reading on this forum. I went and started her yesterday and let it run for about 15 mins...One thing I noticed was when I open the throttle, it bogs and at one point, it died...I assume this has something to do with carb adjustment...Also ran a little crappy after...
If you want to do the full on service: (It sounds like you do)
Hopefully it's just a valve hanging up or the seat is pitted or something similar that is causing the low compression. Remove the head and have a look see. While the head is off you can get the cooling jacket and water passages pristine clean. You will be ready to go with FWC then.
The carb main jet is probably blocked. If you rebuild the carb you will know there are no carb problems with the new engine - sort of like starting from zero again.

TRUE GRIT
The Following User Says Thank You to JOHN COOKSON For This Useful Post:
southcoasting (04-25-2018)