View Single Post
  #8   IP: 76.179.119.203
Old 04-17-2017, 01:35 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by southcoasting View Post
WOW! looks great! Interesting things you did...Why the 3 hoses going into side plate? Better flow?
Thanks! Yes, described previously in this thread. http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8979
Have to be honest and say it was a completely irrational PTSD response to a bad cooling experience. The A4 can and will live with less, but I wanted to try and replicate something like the original side jacket casting. I'm not sure I'd do this again.

Quote:
The home made electrolysis, can you explain more? Was this used for rust removal or paint removal? How did you remove paint from block? I was planning on aircraft paint remover...but if you have a better alternative, I'd love to know about it...
Removes rust and (loosens) paint - the bond fails and the paint falls off. Described previously in this thread. http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8526 As I mention in the thread, this is not my original idea, but something common in the old tools / old iron community.

After I found my block had been recently rebuilt (that was a really good day), I took a calculated risk and didn't separate the main castings (rear housing, block, and oil pan). I cleaned them with solvents and wipes, and did some sanding/wire brushing to make the surfaces as friendly as possible for the primer. I used the POR spray acid etch to prevent surface rust and add 'tooth' on bare metal.

It really depends on how far you're planning on / need to disassemble. If I had fully disassembled, I would have taken the big parts to get hot tanked and started from bare metal. My tub was big enough for the flywheel housing and everything else.

S/V Bunny Planet
1971 Bristol 29 #169