View Single Post
  #6   IP: 67.232.91.39
Old 09-11-2015, 10:03 AM
Afourian MVP

I will classify my response as "Times I was most concerned". Because I have avoided for the most part, either by luck or planing, what would qualify as bad conditions.

Definitely had the "keep the poker face" moments. Over-canvassed, breaking beam seas that required constant helm adjustments to keep the boat half way stable etc. But most of the time it is just me so I can scream at the wind, tell myself what a dumb--- I am and no one will hear. A few that come to mind.

The first big storm I anchored out for slowly built and I made note of the boat movement. I was standing in the cabin looking aft when the MC swung in her normal way and a big gust hit her on the beam. I had striped her, even removing the boom, to reduce windage but she just slowly healed over, and over, and over. Finally stopped and slowly came back. The MC is by no means a "tender" boat so this got my attention. It probable was not as bad as I thought but again it was all new to me.

Last day of a four month trip south. I am just 5 miles from my slip but those last few miles are on the Neuse River and she was acting up. Steep short period breaking waves right on the nose. This is before I made a lot of changes to the MC. So I still had a tank full of krap, a undersized prop, no running rigging to the cockpit, no chartplotter, etc. Well you can guess what happened. Clogged filter, engine shut down, dash forward to raise the jib and BAM. I am hard aground. Most of this area is mud but there are some hard sand areas. I was now stern to the waves and each one lifted the boat and dropped her down hard. What a sickening sound. BAM BAM. I jump below and pull up the floor boards. No damage to the frame or planking and no water coming in. I had to gather myself before calling for a tow. To this day I use this experience as a part of my go/no go process.
I hope to never hear that sound again!

Being slammed into by another boat that had broken loose from it's mooring during a storm.

0300, middle of the gulf stream, been at the helm for 20 hrs straight, staying the heck away from the big ships and hoping to soon see the lights of the Florida coast.

Boat dragging down directly at us in a crowded anchorage during TS Beryl. I was very concerned that it would dislodge my anchor and we would both be dragging. That did not happen but it was coming right as us. Fired up the A-4 and had Linda on the bow to handle our anchor rode. When the other boat was about 50 ft away I powered up and slowly moved to starboard swinging back just forward of my original position after the dragging boat had passed. Almost timed it perfectly but had to fend off the bow of the other boat once to keep it off my stern.

I can honestly say that at no time, even during that horrendous week dealing with fuel issues, did I wish I was some where else. Tired, frustrated, pissed yes. But never "get me the hell off this boat". I put myself, my crew, and the MC in these positions and I had better be able to deal with them.
You live in the moment, do your best and learn.
Dan S/V Marian Claire
The Following User Says Thank You to Marian Claire For This Useful Post:
Mo (09-11-2015)