View Single Post
  #35   IP: 76.103.195.83
Old 10-21-2013, 12:09 AM

Atomic 4 removeal

OK I've removed and installed over 40 A4's by myself and here's how. I first take a tow strap with hooks on each end,I stand on the boom wrap the strap around the mast and hook it,It will stay there with tension on it while I walk back lift the boom up high enough so I'am sure the engine will clear any part of said boat in way. Some times over the top side on some boats the idea is to come close to 45 degees with the strap this puts weight half on the boom and half on the mast. I try to position the strap on the boom where I attach the come-along. I,ve used this method on engines much heavier than A4's ,Volvos MD11,MD17,Universals 5424,5432,ect. I like the boat to list helps get it on the dock! I just hold it back from getting out of control with a line around a winch. I use a refrigerator dolly to walk it up the dock. On some boats I have used a come-along rigged to the mast below decks to drift the engine foreward and aft if it is mounted way foreward like the MD11 in a bayliner buccaneer. makes a Cat 30 look easy. Athough rigging subs makes all these look easy. Works for me hope this helps. Atomic Ed