View Single Post
  #34   IP: 74.90.28.227
Old 10-20-2013, 10:47 PM

I am happy to report the mission was a success with few tricks i learned.

First, when i got to the marina the yard had already pulled my boat out of the water ahead of schedule. Minus to that i had to deal with about 15-17 feet from the boom to the ground. The plus is that the boat didnt heel or move.

Second, i would recommend anyone to use a chain hoist instead of a mainsheet because of the precise control for up and down. One hand easy operation.

Third, we ended up doing a two step. Raise the engine and rest on the deck. Then slide the hoist aft and raise and engine again and swing the boom to clear the side of the boat.

Fourth, to support the boom i used a bowline tie instead of putting the weight on the shackle. Also i had to extend the main halyard with a dockline so that i could get good 4 wraps around the beefy jib winch. Otherwise its too short..

Fifth, my friend and i could not lift the engine from the ground into his truck we had to call couple of guys around the yard to help. I wish we could pull up his truck right under the boat but there was just no way.

All in all, i would say this was not a difficult job and i would do it again if needed. Now come the repairs over the winter...

Thank you all for your advice and help.