View Single Post
  #30   IP: 206.125.176.5
Old 10-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardc View Post

Also, I wouldn't be surprised if the placement of the hoist on the boom that is needed to lift the engine out of the companionway hatch leaves it too close to the mast to be able to swing it out over the dock. In that case you'll have to rig some kind of temporary support in the cockpit the set the engine down on while moving the hoist and halyard attachment point further out on the boom.

It can start to get complicated. But it's doable, and many have done it.

This is why I paid my yard to do it with the crane.
Ed, this is especially true on a C-30..the engine is almost amid-ships in front of the campanionway stairs. If you go look at one around your marina, and it has a mid-boom sheeting/traveler arrangement, it is just about directly under the traveler. I suspect Val will encounter two hurdles that need some thought..
#1 - the boom will be too low to swing the engine clear of the cabin..most C-30's of our vintage have the gooseneck on a track..Val, my boat has the gooseneck pinned all the way up so it doesn't slam when you drop the sail. Does yours move? You'd probably want it all the way up for this maneuver to give you more clearance between cabin & boom.
#2 - the engine will be too close to the mast to swing over the side of the boat, as you mentioned.

Both of these can be easily overcome with a little engineering.
"Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
"Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
http://www.moyermarine.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic3231_6.gif