View Single Post
  #4   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 09-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
A single reply with all that needs to be said would be immense. I'll offer a few brief thoughts:

Electrical
Chasing one butt splice after another is never ending, the gift that keeps on giving. I suggest your time would be better spent cutting it all out and starting over. It may seem daunting but there are members here well versed in all aspects of electrical design and installation who are willing to help. We've got yer back.

Butchered cockpit sole
Pictures please.

Hull ID number
Read your registration/title paperwork carefully. It should (must?) have the official ID number.

Newport C&C 28
Worthless trivia
The Newport 28 is actually a modified Newport 27 hull which was a C&C design. The modifications were done by the factory (spalling or spreading out the hull at the shear, adding about a foot of freeboard and a one foot bustle on the stern) and I'm 99% certain it was done without oversight or involvement from C&C.

Water tank
If it is aluminum I recommend replacement (I remember Capital Yachts preferred steel water tanks while I was there). Aluminum water tanks develop disgusting aluminum calcite stalactites on the underside of their tops. Please look into polyethylene or similar non metallic tanks for a permanent repair.

Engine instrumentation
We have discussed the zero gauge practice Capital yachts had. There are commercially available engine panels ($$$) or like the rest of us, you can make your own. There are plenty of threads and drawings about it on the forum.

Leaks
Welcome to old boat ownership. Fix them as quickly as they appear to avoid the deeper cancer that will certainly ensue. There is good information all over the internet on deck core rot and its remedy.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others
The Following User Says Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
Aj@yknot (09-09-2019)