View Single Post
  #1   IP: 165.225.38.187
Old 09-03-2019, 04:28 PM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Just another overhaul thread

Good afternoon,

so as it was bound to happen, my engine is about to let me down, due to my laziness (and POs'). Short history: I purchased my 1979 Catalina 27 4 or 5 years ago.
-- At the time of purchase, it had been winterized in the same yard in Rhode Island for many years, but the latest 2 winterization reports mentioned the fact that 2, then 3 of the spark plugs could not be removed. The mechanic told me he put as much torque / impact he though reasonable, trying to avoid to break the spark plug (that would have required to remove the engine from boat on a C27). I tried several times to let penetrant oil / mix ATF and Kroll oil during weeks (and several other receipes recommended by Steam boiler mechanics), tried to wrench or impact with engine cold or hot with no luck. And then I gave up trying, praying that I would loose my engine only at a season end (knowing that I do not go out of the Narragansett Bay, and so have a lower engine safety requirement, having already sailed back to the marina several times during my charger vs batteries issues). And that day has come...
-- I had to change the "engine side plate" that developed a hole a couple years ago (shipped in emergency by MM, saving the summer), removing a bunch of mud and crap for the bottom of the block.
-- I also changed the exhaust system to a MM new one, due to the exhaust gases leak
-- Even now, engine starts perfect, runs nice (appart from combustion gases leaking - no comment)

Anyway: long story short, this block was and is very rusty, and I never took the time to re-paint it; the access of a C27 is really really bad; I know it is not an acceptable excuse. And last Saturday, leaving the marina for Labor Day week-end to Newport, when rev-ing up, the engine started to exhale a very distinct "rpm-synched, gas blowing noise". Quickly found out there was a combustion gases leak somewhere around the first spark plug pit.

So Engine head is clearly junk. Now the questions to you guys the experienced mechanics:
-- Based on the pictures below is the rest of the engine dead too? Should I even try to save it, or go try to find another one? (the MM new ones are $$$)
-- Is it possible on a C27 to remove the head without moving the engine out, and install a new head?
-- All the head bolts look pretty bad, what is likely to happen when I will try to remove them?
-- The large bolt holding the engine to the boat, loacted in teh vicinity of teh water pump, looks very rusty. Is there any trick to remove that one if need be? Or jigsaw // torch ( I hate open flames in boats)

Thank you in advance for your experienced opinions!!!
Attached Images

Last edited by Surcouf; 11-05-2019 at 03:55 PM.