View Single Post
  #10   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 05-19-2019, 01:47 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Yeah Dave, I've been brainstorming a "better mousetrap" when it comes to fuel tank design. The current thought is to form an inverted dome, sort of a bowl shaped depression formed at the lowest point in the tank and install an extraction tube that extends to the bottom of the bowl completely separate from the fuel pickup tube.

NYV, the EWDS is an acronym for MMI's Engine Warning and Diagnostic System. The system monitors 5 separate parameters while the engine is in operation and displays a warning light and audible buzzer if any of the parameters are out of a pre-determined range specific to the Atomic 4.
https://moyermarine.com/product/the-...m-ktas_01_564/
You may notice some acronyms or seemingly odd terms are underlined in the posts thusly (EWDS). Placing your pointer on the underlined term without clicking displays a brief description.

As soon as my engine gave the first hint of a problem (a reduced RPM blip) my eyes went immediately to the EWDS display and stayed there throughout subsequent blips and finally shut down. No display lights illuminated until the engine stopped, then the raw water flow light illuminated first. It should have, the engine stopped, the pump stopped and the raw water was not flowing.

But what did that tell me? The monitored parameters were within specification during the episode so I knew there were no issues with engine temp, oil pressure, raw water flow and most importantly, coil input voltage and fuel supply pressure to the carburetor. So what could it be? It could be loss of spark within the ignition system or a fuel issue inside the carburetor. The recent broken fuel fill O ring followed by rain pointed me in that direction so my remedial efforts were focused there.
Attached Images

prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 05-19-2019 at 01:55 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ndutton For This Useful Post:
ernst (08-18-2019), nyvoyager (05-19-2019)