Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rbyham
    • Jan 2013

+1 on the shaker syphon hose. Cheap and simple and easy. Since getting one I never even contemplate pouring or spilling. A must have IMHO.

Comment

• Administrator
      MMI Webmaster
      • Oct 2004

+2 on the shaker siphon, plus the hose is clear, so you can see what you're removing when you use it to go looking for that ethanol schmutz at the bottom of the tank.

Bill

Comment

• cdhickey
        • Sep 2013

Thanks- all very helpful!
        Chris
        S/V Seeker
        1972 C&C 30
        Terra Nova Yacht Club, Holyrood NL

Comment

• Sea Haven
          • Jun 2013

Hopkins HPK10801

MMI~

Perhaps you folk's be adding the Hopkins to your excellent line?? lol

"Sub" Ed
          SY Sea Haven
          '78 Pearson 323 #124

Comment

• sastanley
            Afourian MVP
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by lat 64 View Post
            Thanks, it all makes sense but I guess never did that because my fill port is outside of deep coamings and anything liquid or heavier than air would go overboard. That said, I make a more-than-usuall and rigorous sniff around the bilge before starting up at the gas dock. The attendants never give anyone grief about going through a check list. I have seen them watch me and smile.

I'll review my procedure. It might change.

Russ
            Russ, My fuel fill is outboard of the cockpit coaming, and I am 99% sure the fumes go overboard as well, it is that 1% you never know about, so, I always close the boat as well, as I was taught. I also turn on the blower prior to opening up the boat.

If I am fueling at the slip with jerry cans...I usually have the jerry can as the first thing out of the trunk, and do the gas filling first before I open up the boat and bring any gear aboard, just out of habit, since the boat is already closed up.

When I ran a gas dock, I always worried about the ones that did NOT go thru a checklist or procedure. "Here's your receipt, sorry I can't help you off, I gotta get my tail up this dock and away from you in case you blow up!!"

edit - Ooooo, I like that shaker siphon.. I guess the marble thingie keeps the fuel in the line as you are advancing it to start the siphon??

I found another product I think I will be purchasing...a "Mr. Funnel"
            Last edited by sastanley; 08-06-2014, 03:48 PM.
            -Shawn
            "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
            "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
            sigpic

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

Russ, I fill up the way you do. Not that it is the best way...
              I close the ports on the gas fill side, and that is it.

Comment

• Sea Haven
                • Jun 2013

Fuel Fill location

FWIW...
                The fill on my Pearson 323 is on the stbd F/G "weatherboard" coaming, outboard side. The fumes that are displaced by the gas filling go directly overboard, as well as out the vent on the transom.
                I stick as much hose a possible into Sea Haven's fuel fill while still maintaining enough length to remain in the gas can to allow can to rest on the coaming's flat top, inboard of the lifelines of course.
                I do keep my hand the can as the little glass "marble" from the shaker siphon rattles away down at the bottom of the can as the boat fuels. It's a nice "audible" confirmation of fuel flow.
                Direct addition of fuel with little chance of spill. IMHO, I would only use "Mr. Funnel" to fill the Gas Can at the station. Of course as mentioned before, I follow all practices, including flying the "BRAVO" flag.

On a side note, my Bristol 29.9, a diesel Yanmar 2GM15, had it's fuel fil in the center of the cockpit...WORSE PLACE EVER. If leaves clogged the cockpit drains, water seeped into the tank! And though I could enjoy a good cigar while fueling, no matter how careful I was diesel always managed to get on the cockpit deck and stain it.

I just love my 323, and the A4.
                Last edited by Sea Haven; 08-06-2014, 04:54 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X