X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

67, I agree there...the weight listed for an A-4 like mine is 310 lbs...I'd pull the starter, water pump, carb, fuel pump, maybe even manifold..that should lighten her up quite a bit. 5 lbs here and 5 lbs there..straps underneath would also be most desirable given the past discussion on this forum of the lifting eye possibly causing cracks.
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• marthur
      Afourian MVP
      • Dec 2004

You may wish to check this out: Pictures of Lever Used to Remove A-4}
      Something like this will make it a lot easier to get the motor out from under the companion way steps.

Here is a video showing an A-4 being removed using only the existing rigging. I personally would use a come-along or chain-fall at the end of the halyard:
      Removing A-4 part 1
      Removing A-4 part 2

The set up Art mentions would take less time than just arranging for the crane and would be way cheaper. The money you save would pay for some nice upgrades. Jim's A-4 Rig to Remove the A-4
      Mike

Comment

• Laker
        • Sep 2010

I would like to know more about the potential perils of lifting by the ring. I thought that is what it is for.

Laker
        1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• ArtJ
          • Sep 2009

Regarding the link to using a lever

I didn't fully see how the lever was used from the pictures, but
          it appears that the lever is attached to the lifting ring at a 90 degree
          angle, putting it in sheer which would extremely stress the lifting ring
          and head.

Regards

Comment

• ndutton
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Originally posted by Laker View Post
            I would like to know more about the potential perils of lifting by the ring. I thought that is what it is for.
            There has been considerable discussion about the lifting eye/bracket imparting loads on the head that result in cracks. Those contributing to the discussion included some of the most knowledgeable members, the rockstars if you will.

My experience goes the other way. I've probably installed over a hundred A4's using the factory lifting eye without a single issue to my knowledge.

Given that the engines I lifted were new, I wonder if age, corrosion, etc. is a factor. Perhaps with an older engine the force placed from the lifting eye is the straw that broke the camel's back.
            Neil
            1977 Catalina 30
            San Pedro, California
            prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
            Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• ILikeRust
              Afourian MVP
              • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
              There has been considerable discussion about the lifting eye/bracket imparting loads on the head that result in cracks.
              Are we talking about cracks or damage to the head, or to the block? It would seem to me that since the studs are threaded into the block and simply pass through holes in the head, that lifting the engine by them would put stress on the block more than on the head, unless you somehow apply a major lateral load - which seems to me shouldn't happen.

I'll certainly discuss all this with the yard before hoisting my engine out. I've decided to just pay them to bring their crane over - I'll have everything ready to go, so it shouldn't take more than a few minutes (hopefully). I do like the idea of lifting it with several straps all the way around and under the engine, rather than dangling it from just two head studs.

I've already taken off the manifold (which includes the carb) and will also remove the alternator and coil.
              - Bill T.
              - Richmond, VA

Relentless pursuer of lost causes

Comment

• ndutton
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

Don't quote me but as best I recall the lift point of the eye places a torque load onto the head surface as opposed to a dead lift on the studs. This force would change as weighty engine components are removed. The cracks mentioned were in the head in the vicinity of the stud holes where the lifting eye is mounted.
                Neil
                1977 Catalina 30
                San Pedro, California

Comment

• ArtJ
                  • Sep 2009

Not only a issue in removing engine, but could damage a newly reconditioned
                  engine as well, head, head gasket, studs.

Comment

• thatch
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Dec 2009

"Both"

Lifters,
                    Universal placed the lifting ring in that particular place because it is about the best balance point, (Neil can probably verify this). Having said that, if for some reason, even if it's just a confidence booster, you would feel better with more support, just add a decent quality ratchet strap around the oil pan and connect both ends to the lifting hook. Only snug it up enough to ease a little of the load and if the unthinkable happens (ring or stud failure) then the strap will absorb the weight.
                    Tom

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

A quick search of the archive turned up this. There's more to be found though.

Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California

Comment

• ILikeRust
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Sep 2010

Originally posted by ndutton View Post
                        Don't quote me but as best I recall the lift point of the eye places a torque load onto the head surface as opposed to a dead lift on the studs.
                        Now that I think about it, yeah, that makes sense, because unless the lifting eye is directly above the absolute center of mass, the engine will tilt one way or the other, placing a lateral strain on the studs. Given that the studs are merely 3/8" diameter, they easily could flex just a bit, transferring that strain to the head. OK, now I can see how it could cause a cracked head or other undesirable result.
                        - Bill T.
                        - Richmond, VA

Comment

• ILikeRust
                          Afourian MVP
                          • Sep 2010

Based on the photos I've seen, it also seems to me that there were a couple different designs of lifting "eyes". On mine, it's not really a lifting eye so much as an alternator mounting bracket. That is, there is not separate ring for lifting - it's just a folded steel bracket with two "ears" bent up, each with a hole through it, for the alternator mounting bolt to go through. The only way to use it as a lifting eye is to remove the alternator to open up those holes.

Also, mine is held on with only two studs. I've seen others that are larger and held on with four. I'm pondering the possibility of fabricating a new one, using the same thickness steel, but that goes across the head and engages two more studs, so it would distribute the lifting load across four studs instead of just those two.

But again, maybe it would just be simpler to use straps going under the engine and avoid the whole lifting eye issue.

Ain't it interesting how we all over analyze this stuff to death?
                          - Bill T.
                          - Richmond, VA

Comment

• thatch
                            Afourian MVP
                            • Dec 2009

'On second thought"

Neil,
                            Very interesting thread. After looking at the Moyer panoramic view engine(top angle) it would appear that there is considerable side leverage placed on the 2 studs used for the lifting ring. It also looks like it would be a relatively easy project to add a small angle iron bracket bolted to side of the ring to pick up the next stud toward the transmission end of the engine.

Comment

• Laker
                              • Sep 2010

It has recently occurred to me that , along with the benefit of a wealth of knowledge I have gained through this forum in the past few months , I now have an increasing list of things to worry about.

Lifting ring ...
                              1966 Columbia 34 SABINA

Comment

• ndutton
                                Afourian MVP
                                • May 2009

Whatever you do, don't buy one of those infrared thermometer thingys.
                                Neil
                                1977 Catalina 30
                                San Pedro, California

Comment

Working...
                                X