View Single Post
  #25   IP: 174.192.34.246
Old 05-21-2019, 05:43 PM

A last post, inspired by your photo of the batteries.

1. Your proposed (simplified) hookup in post #16 looks OK.
2. The black and red cables to the batteries look like #2s.
3. The battery connections, especially the lower battery’s + lead, are badly corroded. If this is the Start battery, and you want to have a good starting engine, this connection must be seen to. Corrosion means resistance, which means voltage drop. This leads to reduced current to the starter, and slow (or no) starts.
4. For a temporary reliable, safe system, those connections need, at a minimum, cleaning up. Replacing the cables would be better. You could kill 2 birds with one stone (fuse protection, a USCG requirement, and good connection) and use the Blue Sea 5191 or 2151 terminal fuse blocks for the batteries.
5. The lower battery red cable, with the clamp-on terminal, is heavily corroded. I betcha it has corrosion underneath the jacket for some distance up the cable. If so, it needs replacement.
6. What is that tank in the lower right corner, with what looks like a Moeller 3 Way Fuel Valve? I hope it’s a water tank. If it is a fuel tank, it needs IMMEDIATE attention! The two green hoses do not look like USCG approved, ethanol rated, fuel hose (i.e. Type A1-15, SAE J1527). Besides being illegal, use of non-approved hose can, especially in the presence of ethanol fuel, lead to dissolved hose innards clogging the carburetor. Murphy’s Law dictates that this must happen in restricted waters, while dodging a 120,000 DWT tanker. The other clear, reinforced hose heading off to the left is designed for water, and has no place in a fuel system.