View Single Post
  #18   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 05-19-2019, 06:38 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyvoyager View Post
Neil how much total fuel do you carry and where?
A 2nd tank is an interesting idea.
Are you concerned about the additional weight?
Both tanks combined I have a 37 gallon capacity, one 12 gallon and one 25 gallon tank. My usual practice however is to carry 10 to 12 gallons in the main 12 gallon tank under the quarter berth and leave the bigger, secondary tank located in the bottom half of the cavernous port sail bin empty. For this trip I topped off the 12 gallon tank and put 5 gallons in the secondary tank as a reserve. Good thing I did too, that secondary tank came in pretty handy. If I were headed, say, to Ensenada, I'd fill both tanks so I had ample reserves no matter what. I guess the answer is, "It depends on where I'm going."

As for weight, I don't really care. I'm not a racer so an extra 1/10th of a knot is not significant to me. Besides, for Catalina trips I'm towing a 14' inflatable that costs me a full knot anyway. Hey, it's sailing. I'll get there when I get there. Good thing my slip is in the closest marina to Two Harbors at Catalina. We may not be the first to get there but we'll sure have a lot of fun on the way.

Another comment on weight, just this month I made the final touch to my all chain anchor rode: painting the waterline a little higher.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 05-19-2019 at 07:34 PM.