Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nyvoyager
    • Jun 2012

just went through this today. If it is a late model A4 your point gap should be closer to .023. I would check this first

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Good time to move to EI if you want to, you'll be doing about the same work either way. YMMV on which EI you like.
      Here is why we have such a hard time with coils:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by joe_db; 04-29-2019, 10:09 AM.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• sailhog
        • Apr 2009

Finally reporting back on my "lack o' spark" situation. As you may recall from the above posts, I established normal voltage to the coil, but a very weak spark from the coil and no spark at the plugs. A couple of weeks ago I put in an order with MMI for a new coil, along with a new condenser, points and plugs, as they've all got eight years on them.

Got everything installed, double checked that the points gap was correct, AND REPLACED THE WIRE FROM THE DISTRIBUTOR WITH THE BREACHED INSULATION... feeling confident... and, after sitting in the slip for nearly a month, she started right up... running like a raped ape.

The time I spent troubleshooting and addressing the problem was maybe a couple of hours. To all of you who try the scatter-shot approach and hoping to get lucky with a guess as to the problem -- as I have done in the past -- you need to hear me now. Listen to the folks on the forum when they ask, "Do you KNOW" this or that... And then answer the question.

Comment

Working...
        X