View Single Post
  #17   IP: 206.125.176.3
Old 10-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanks!

Thanks, I used your manual to figure out which terminals were which. My tach is a little suspect, but I did get some readings out of it.

I took the boat out for a spin last evening, as I had a buddy on board to help tie up and swim home with me if the boat sank

It seems I can't get the engine to run much faster than 1,200 RPM in gear without it running horribly, and vibrating a lot. Out of gear it revs up well over 2,000 RPM. In gear, it starts to miss and run funny above 1,150 or so..I have a friend with dive gear that I might be able to jump over the side and clean the prop..I have no idea how much it is fouled. Then I can run a few more tests before hauling for the winter.

I also installed the new plug wires today, and when running the engine and pulling one wire at a time, #3 seems to produce the smallest change in engine behavior, and noticeably different than the other cylinders (i.e. running on 3 rather than 4 cylinders) - I think maybe I need to try a different compression tester.

In reverse the thing sounds great, which doesn't make a lot of sense..is the reversing gear further reduced from the fwd gear, so that there isn't as much load on the engine?

Last edited by sastanley; 10-10-2008 at 12:38 PM. Reason: adding more stuff!