View Single Post
  #53   IP: 24.224.152.244
Old 10-31-2013, 07:14 AM
Afourian MVP

Hi Dude,
So, you pressure tested the manifold as well....and it sounds like you pressure tested everything. Sounds like a carb problem right now. We could pick at this all day but I'd take the carb off and carefully take it apart. I realize you did that once but dirt from a dirty tank is the most common cause of fuel related problems on these engines. Using choke makes me think you have an air leak and that will either be via the gasket that joints both halves or through the throttle linkage when carb related. Other areas to check would be all fuel lines and ensure clamps are tight and no air leak. Another problem that requires choke is fuel starvation...so you may want to check that.
Sounds like could be an air leak or plugged jet...regardless, a can and brake clean and an air compressor should allow you to clean it up pretty good. Carefully separate both haves of the carb. Remove all jets and set them aside. Remove float pin and carefully lift out the float without bending it. Then the needle and seat...clean these with the jets. Once jets and float, needle etc removed spray the whole thing with brake clean and blow it out with compressed air.

A few things I do when dealing with carbs. When cleaning jets you can use a very small strand of wire and wiggle it around the opening...will help ensure you have the right diameter and knock off crud...don't ream the holes larger. Jets are removed, passages in carb clean and blow with compressed air...then clean jet...then re-install.

Usually no gasket cement required on the carb and secure both halves very snug with the screws. I then plug the throat with a rag and spray some brake clean in the other end...cover with hand and blow compressed air between thumb and hand...if there is a leak between the two halves you will see bubbles.

Put it back on the boat, change filter if in doubt...and try it again.

Hope that helps...it could be a few things but I'd try this first.

For the water in the oil. You have it in the garage correct? Did you change the oil 3 times. If so, there still may be some residual moisture that may show as bubbles or froth on the dipstick and sometimes around the filler cap. Once you get it running decent run in for about an hour in the garage if you can. At this time leave the oil filler cap off and moisture should evaporate and make it's way out the cap opening. This would be a good opportunity to shut it down every 5 minutes or so and see if your oil is looking worse or increasing in volume as well. You may see some smoke come out the oil cap vent as well with increase rpm...that would be pretty much normal blow-by for this engine.

"Odyssey"
1976 C&C 30 MKI

The pessimist complains about the wind.
The optimist expects it to change.
The realist adjusts the sails.
...Sir William Arthur Ward.

Last edited by Mo; 10-31-2013 at 01:16 PM.