Thread: Running issues
View Single Post
  #4   IP: 207.118.20.35
Old 08-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Afourian MVP

I had a similar problem. The engine was running great, but as soon as I tried motoring in serious chop it faltered and I had to go back. There must have been crud in the tank, because this tan-colored jelly was in the carb, and in the bottom of the water separator filter. Ethanol and water create that stuff. Cleaning the carb, blowing carb cleaner through the jets, and replacing the filters solved the problem. I never see that crud now, since I started running non-ethanol gas. I used to have to buy it in jerry cans from a non-ethanol gas station. Now the local gas dock sells it exclusively. I still try to avoid motoring when it's rough. Once a gas dock filled my tank with diesel by mistake, and pumped out the tank by running a separate hose down the fill hose and into the tank. I believe that may have had a beneficial effect. I don't know if there is a screen/filter on the pick-up tube, but I assume so. You say your tank is new. Make sure water isn't getting into the intake. Fill the tank before winterizing to reduce condensation, and don't keep old gas in the tank too long.