X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Charles Taylor
    • Sep 2007

Ignition Crank

I wish you would offer an ingition crank with a shorter round pipe section (I don't know what else to call it). I got a crank from you and was unable to use it due to the limited clearance of the front of the engine compartment of my 1977 Ericson 32.

Thanks,
    Charles
  • ArtJ
    • Sep 2009

Cranking the Atomic 4 i

Can something like a rachet wrench be adapted to crank the engine
    for those of use without 360 degree availablitiy?

Assuming that it
    could somehow release without breaking a arm?

I. probably like
    most people born after the 1930's have never cranked a engine,
    but have heard stories about broken arms from model T's.

What is the true story about cranking the atomic 4 ?

It would be useful in a emergency.

Comment

• ArtJ
      • Sep 2009

Cranking adapter add-on to PTO Pulley

Is there, and should there be a cranking adapter for engines with the
      Power Take Off pulley installed?

Comment

• Marian Claire
        Afourian MVP
        • Aug 2007

What is the true story about cranking the atomic 4 ?

I have hand cranked my A4. Warm it is no problem, cold it takes a few tries. I have a full 360 and good forward clearance. The crank I have is designed to disengage itself and a little grease helps. I was told to kind of shove the crank and not really grip it to protect your thumb. My engine usually cranks/fires almost instantly with the battery. Dan S/V Marian Claire
        Last edited by Marian Claire; 11-10-2009, 06:37 PM.

Comment

• roadnsky
          Afourian MVP
          • Dec 2008

There's a YouTube video on Hand Cranking...
          -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
          sigpic
          1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• msmith10
            Afourian MVP
            • Jun 2006

ArtJ,
            I made my own hand crank using a spark plug socket and 3/8" rachet with an extension. For safety, I ground asymmetrical v-shaped slots in each side of the socket where it engages the roll pin in the end of the crankshaft so it looks kind of like the hand crank in the Moyer catalog. (If you don't understand this I can send a drawing). That way, if the ratchet fails or accidentally slips into the other direction, the socket will still kick out of engagement with the roll pin when the motor starts. Also, as Marian Claire recommends, you don't really grip the crank, but kind of "push" it with an open palm. My experience is that you only have to push it through maybe 90 degrees. I'd also wear gloves.
            I found the engine to start really easily, even cold, with just a few short cranks.
            No, I wouldn't rely on it every day, but it's good to know I can do it if I need to.
            Mark Smith
            1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• ArtJ
              • Sep 2009

Originally posted by msmith10 View Post
              ArtJ,
              I made my own hand crank using a spark plug socket and 3/8" rachet with an extension. For safety, I ground asymmetrical v-shaped slots in each side of the socket where it engages the roll pin in the end of the crankshaft so it looks kind of like the hand crank in the Moyer catalog. (If you don't understand this I can send a drawing). That way, if the ratchet fails or accidentally slips into the other direction, the socket will still kick out of engagement with the roll pin when the motor starts. Also, as Marian Claire recommends, you don't really grip the crank, but kind of "push" it with an open palm. My experience is that you only have to push it through maybe 90 degrees. I'd also wear gloves.
              I found the engine to start really easily, even cold, with just a few short cranks.
              No, I wouldn't rely on it every day, but it's good to know I can do it if I need to.
              I would very much appreciate if you would post the drawing.

Thanks very much

Art

Comment

• sastanley
                Afourian MVP
                • Sep 2008

+1

Hi Mark,
                A diagram would be great. I have a C-30, and the problem is I do not think the Moyer designed crank has enough clearance since my engine is surrounded by a box, so I have zero clearance in front & would need an extension as well.

I am considering a ~1" diameter hole that I can plug for the purpose of a visual on the roll pin for setting timing & hand cranking if I ever need it using a tool similar to the design you describe. No sense in re-inventing the wheel!
                -Shawn
                "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                sigpic

Comment

• msmith10
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Jun 2006

I have attached (I think) a drawing. *Please note that I am not recommending that you do this yourself. Any use of this drawing is at your own risk. (Dewey, Cheatam, & Howe)
                  Attached Files
                  Mark Smith
                  1977 c&c30 Mk1 hailing from Port Clinton, Ohio

Comment

• Administrator
                    MMI Webmaster
                    • Oct 2004

Don has this product for setting timing, etc. Note that it is not not intended to start the engine.

(IGLM_17.1_479) Ignition timing socket

This attachment is designed to allow turning of the engine for maintenance in cases where access in front of the engine does not allow the swinging of a crank handle. A 3/4" socket and ratchet handle is used to turn the attachment.

Comment

• ArtJ
                      • Sep 2009

Does Moyer Marine carry roll pin adapter for PTO engines?

Does Moyer Marine carry a roll pin adapter for engines with PTO pulley
                      installed???

Comment

• Marian Claire
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Aug 2007

Check out the online catalog, cooling system, fresh water cooling equipment, parts and accessories. Might be what you are looking for. Dan S/V Marian Claire

Comment

• Administrator
                          MMI Webmaster
                          • Oct 2004

Here 'tis:

(CFWC_11_186.1) Hand crank attachment

Comment

• ArtJ
                            • Sep 2009

Re: PTO adapter

It appears that this requires an additional flange replacement as well and, does not
                            appear to backwards compatible with existing PTO pulley installation.

Furtherly, it appears that it also may protrude extra inches, which
                            may preclude usage on boats like the Tartan 34 c which does not
                            have much, if any, horizontal clearance as is, would just be able to fit a
                            modifed socket without the extra length.

Please explain in additional detail how this kit retrofits.

Thanks

Comment

• CamaroMan
                              • Oct 2017

Originally posted by msmith10 View Post
                              I have attached (I think) a drawing. *Please note that I am not recommending that you do this yourself. Any use of this drawing is at your own risk. (Dewey, Cheatam, & Howe)
                              Hi - can u remember what size the actual socket was? I can hardly get a hand round the back of the motor - closest fit I could get was a 12 point 3/4 socket - that seemed to fit just about perfect around the cracnk snout.

I couldnt even tell what else was in there - I have a 13/16 deep socket I bought for $1 im going to try grind, Just hve no idea what the OD of the snout is or the depth of the pin "in" from the snout..

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
                              X