View Single Post
  #2   IP: 137.200.32.6
Old 08-01-2019, 07:31 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 1,026 Times in 721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by george_barringer View Post
Hello All -

Boat is in the water. Alternator failed. No headspace to get to the bracket and headbolts nor any enthusiasm to do so to rework bracket to put a new high output alternator in at the moment. Can't get to the headbolts easily. If I break one or fail to retorque properly then I'm in bigger trouble.

So - looking for a functional alternator to get me through the season when I can better assess the options and the costs.

Any help or leads to find one very much appreciated. Thanks

George Barringer
Enterprise
1978 Erickson 32 mkII
I am not sure of the relationship between headbolts and alternators. I have used several types of alternators and never had to remove the alternator braket. They all use the same mount.
The only thing you need to change for some alternators is the mounting arm from a shorter to a longer one and that is trivially easy to do and involves no head bolts. We use single foot 2" alternators, so any such alternator will fit the bracket on the head.

Also note that you can have your existing alternator repaired.

EDIT - If you move away from Motorola alternators to the numerous 10si types or a Balmar, besides for a belt this is the only part you HAVE to get:
https://moyermarine.com/product/alte...l-ovel_03_222/
Attached Images

Last edited by joe_db; 08-01-2019 at 07:47 AM.