View Single Post
  #14   IP: 68.126.199.192
Old 09-15-2011, 02:27 PM

I do love everthing he designed. I used to follow his work as a young man. He was the reason I became a designer.
I love wooden boats. The problem today, and it has been a problem for the last 50 years, is wood. Finding clear, dried white oak is a problem. Douglas fir is a fine wood to work with, but it's life is shorter than white oak.
I don't know why, but boat builders want their boats to last a hundred years after they die? I'm the same way.
The Eastern half of The United States in the 17, and 18 hundreds, was white oak heaven. People used it for everything, even fire wood. It's gone now, not much left. What there is runs alongside the price of gold.

Somewhere in the North sea, there is a lost Island. In its center is a lush valley, it's slopes filled with giant white oak. In the center of the valley is a river leading South to the sea.
It is said, “He who seeks, and finds the Island of oak, will build a vessel that will forever sail the seven seas.”
Many have searched, and given it up to Davy Jones. A threadbare old seamen hunted the water fronts from Boston to Main, mumbling he had found the Island of Oak. The old Captains, Shipwrights, and Seamen alike tossed him off..."Here ya old fool, have a drink, and be off with ya."
After these two hundred years, I still find no one who will believe me.
What say you...will you listen?