• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Administrator
    MMI Webmaster
    • Oct 2004

What kind of motor oil do you use?

At Mark S's suggestion, here's a poll on what kind of motor oil you use in your A4.

You may select as many choices as are relevant.
    30W
    0%
    10W-30
    0%
    10W-40
    0%
    Detergent
    0%
    Non-Detergent
    0%
    Natural (as opposed to synthetic)
    0%
    Synthetic
    0%
    Motorcycle Oil
    0%
    SG Grade
    0%
    Some Other Variation
    0%
  • sastanley
    Afourian MVP
    • Sep 2008

CalebD turned me onto the Shell Rotella SAE 30w - the P.O. used Mobil 1 in it for years and did not report any problem with slippage, etc..

I opted to go back to the dino juice, except I forgot to check it in the poll!
    -Shawn
    "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
    "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
    sigpic

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

I use Penzoil Marine 15W-40.

Seems to work fine.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• Administrator
        MMI Webmaster
        • Oct 2004

I use Penzoil Marine 15W-40.
        I wonder what distinguishes Penzoil's marine oil from its regular stuff (other than price, of course).

Bill

Comment

• joe_db
          Afourian MVP
          • May 2009

It is actually pretty cheap at Western Auto.

Originally posted by Administrator View Post
          I wonder what distinguishes Penzoil's marine oil from its regular stuff (other than price, of course).

Bill
          Joe Della Barba
          Coquina
          C&C 35 MK I
          Maryland USA

Comment

• Jesse Delanoy
            Afourian MVP
            • Dec 2006

Pennzoil SAE 30 HD (high detergent)

Comment

• Dave Neptune
              Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
              • Jan 2007

Oil

I have been using for the last 26 years the same basic oil strategy. A good 30wt detergent motor oil~Chevron~Valvoline~Mobil~etc and I add a pint of STP oil treatment. I have a very steady oil pereassure 15~20 @ idle (700rpm) and 35~40 above 1300 up. I also use a bypass type of oil filter set up from Fram.
              My lil beastie is now 40 years old and still ticking although I did do a valve job on her 26 years ago. The only thing not original are a few valve "keepers" and one exhaust valve.

Dave Neptune

Comment

• rpowers
                • Oct 2007

STP question

What exactly does STP oil treatment do?

Mfr says:

STP Oil Treatment:

Fights friction to help protect against engine wear by providing a thicker cushion between moving engine parts.

This high-viscosity formula is specially formulated to help fight metal-to-metal friction by providing a thicker cushion between moving engine parts.
                Helps

* Protect against engine wear
                * Reduce oil consumption
                * Protect engine parts

Is this any different than just "oil" ?

Comment

• rigspelt
                  Afourian MVP
                  • May 2008

Just for completeness in documentation in this thread, here is Don's FAQ on oil choice: http://www.moyermarine.com/faq/3.6.html
                  1974 C&C 27

Comment

• joe_db
                    Afourian MVP
                    • May 2009

Testing Slick 50 and STP

We also tested Slick 50 and STP Engine Treatments and STP Oil Treatment, each in three cabs. (Slick 50 costs $17.79 per container; STP Engine Treatment has been discontinued.) All three boast that they reduce engine friction and wear.

The engine treatments are added with the oil (we used Pennzoil 10W-30). They claim they bond to engine parts and provide protection for 25,000 miles or more. We used each according to instructions.

The STP Oil Treatment is supposed to be added with each oil change. It comes in one formulation (black bottle, $4.32) for cars with up to 36,000 miles, another (blue bottle, $3.17) for cars that have more than 36,000 miles or are more than four years old. We used the first version for the first 36,000 miles, the second for the rest of the test-again, with Pennzoil 10W-30.

When we disassembled the engines and checked for wear and deposits, we found no discernible benefits from any of these products.

The bottom line. We see little reason why anyone using one of today's high-quality motor oils would need these engine/oil treatments. One notable effect of STP Oil Treatment was an increase in oil viscosity; it made our 10W-30 oil act more like a 15W-40, a grade not often recommended. In very cold weather, that might pose a risk of engine damage.
                    Joe Della Barba
                    Coquina
                    C&C 35 MK I
                    Maryland USA

Comment

• Mark S
                      • Sep 2008

Valvoline 30 weight, natural and detergent. In polling, neglected to check natural and detergent. I'd be tempted to try synthetic if people seem to like it. I use it in my autos.
                      Last edited by Mark S; 08-06-2010, 03:13 PM.

Comment

• Dana Mace
                        • Jan 2008

Rotela
                        15-40

Capricious
                        Marblehead Ma

Comment

• 2dogsfishin
                          • Jul 2010

Chevron Delo 400 15 - 40

The water temp in the bayou today is 90 F. So a heavier weight is proper IMO.

Back in the early 70's when I was in marine diesel repair school one of our assignments was to research which oil met most manufacturors and government standards. Chevron Delo 400 met everyone's requirments and I have been using in all of my engines since then except my Chevy Van towing vehicle for boats on trailers, car hauler trailer and my 22' HiLo travel trailer. On the advice of a cousin who worked for GM and the test facility in AZ, I have used Red Line synthetic engine oil and ATF. I am approaching 100,000 miles on the Chevy and she does not use any between changes and the tranny still works perfectly.

Of course, like the Atomic Four, my Chevy was built by Americans in America!

Comment

• jeffgerritsen
                            • Dec 2008

Where does one find "SG" grade oil?

Everything I've found is rated at SL or SM.

According to the summer newsletter, anything greater than SG is "too slippery" for our wet clutches. Currently I'm using 10 - 40 SL rating and looking for SG rated oil. So far no wet clutch slipping as far as I can tell.

Jeff.

Comment

• Don Moyer
                              • Oct 2004

Jeff,

The recommendation to look for SG rated oil (usually only found today at motorcycle shops) was only if you're having trouble with your forward clutch assembly slipping. As long as you can find a comfortable adjustment on your forward latching mechanism, SL or SM oil is OK.

Don

Comment

Working...
                              X