View Single Post
  #16   IP: 99.30.185.198
Old 06-02-2019, 10:02 PM
Afourian MVP

Wisakedjack, Sorry it took so long for the light to finally come on, but, since we're dealing with a Catalina-30 here, you may have a vacuum leak at the back end of the manifold. Here's how it goes. The hot section of a c-30's exhaust runs laterally from the manifold over to the top of the water-lift/muffler, where it drops down and connects, normally with a short length if rubber hose, to the inlet on the top. Engine torque, over time, tends to either crack the water-lift or to loosen up or actually crack the flange at the back of the manifold. Neil and I replaced a manifold on an A4 a couple of years ago that had completely cracked off. The manifold had rusted through and the crack went undetected until after it was removed. Recently I rebuilt my hot section and replaced my manifold because of a crack in the flange area. One way to check for a vacuum leak at the manifold gasket is to spray some WD-40 between the head and the manifold while the engine is running. If there is a leak, the engine rpms should change and some white smoke should show up in the exhaust. I realize that you had recently removed the head, but didn't notice if you removed the manifold or not.
Tom
The Following User Says Thank You to thatch For This Useful Post:
lat 64 (06-03-2019)