View Single Post
  #1   IP: 71.84.33.227
Old 06-21-2020, 01:46 AM

raw water blockage

hi everyone,
I haven't been here for a while - all sorts of life complications.
So Today, I started the engine - having accidentally left the raw water intake open for a week - ran nicely with cooling water, then no cooling water. Took the water pump cover off - good impeller.
I've got a big bronze thru hull and valve, and as I recall - it been a while - a perforated plate over the intake. Nav le goes via about 4' of 1" hose to a big bronze strainer - ~ 10" x 4" original Wilcox Crittenden. So I'm guessing the blockage is in the thru-hull or in the line between valve and strainer.
How should I test? Thinking aloud here - I guess I'll disconnect the strainer to valve hose at the valve and drain back from strainer into bilge, and I can open valve to see flow from outside. If the blockage in in the thru-hull, I guess I need to dive, right?
That should isolate blockage location - unless the blockage is in the block, or the v-drive. Does this happen? How would I diagnose/cure?
Any suggestions much appreciated.