View Single Post
  #13   IP: 24.152.131.153
Old 09-18-2014, 09:16 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Administrator View Post
Part of what makes the A4 sustainable is that there were so many of them produced. I wonder how many Palmers were. Maybe Neil might know?
I know very little of Palmers other than installing a handful of them coincidentally on Columbia 34s and Coronado 30s. Anything I might offer would be what I think, what I heard, etc. Not solid information at all.

Here are excerpts from a discussion on the Old Marine Engine forum:
Quote:
The P-60 is a marine adaptation of an International Harvester C 60 tractor engine by Palmer. This happened in the late 1940s. As far as I can tell the last ones were built into at least 1974. The question of how many were left came up about a year ago. I made a guess that there might be about 200 running or being held on to.

Production started in 1955 and probably ended about 1975 with Crusader. Thermo Electron bought the design in 1971 for their Crusader line. The people that bought the residue of the P-60 did not actually make engines as I understand it they sold parts and left over engines from Crusader. No one knows haw many are still around. [The previous comment] is probably in the ball park but they are rapidly disappearing as operating engines. I know of one that has been operating in saltwater for nearly 30 years with no rust out as the owner is careful to always flush the salt out with fresh water after every use. I believe that 200-300K IHC Cub-Lo-Boys were made and a lot of them are still in good operating condition.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others