View Single Post
  #14   IP: 174.214.14.40
Old 10-17-2017, 03:14 PM

Palmer 60 owners

Hi all, new to the forum... though I'm actually not an a4ian. ;-)

One reference for those of you who have a P60 is David's Yacht Service. I couldn't afford one of his rebuilds, but might end up sending him things to service, or purchasing one of his new manifold castings. Here's his URL:

http://www.boatcityyachts.com/davids...%20service.htm

FWIW, his opinion is that the Palmer is actually the better engine. That said, as many have noted, there are FAR more Atomic fours out there. I plan on sticking with my Palmer, as once they're running, they run forever.

One bit of info I've gleaned from this and other forums is that stuck/sticky valves are common occurrences, and that one very common cause is letting seawater into the engine before it's been started. My engine is currently not starting, but was running fine two years ago before the PO left her on her own. I'm currently working on the premise that the valves are stuck, and plan on pouring a bit of Marvel Mystery Oil in through the spark plug holes and hand-turning the fly wheel to spread it around.

BTW, I also have the original P60 manual which came with the boat. If anyone is interested, I can scan it in and provide an electronic copy, let me know.

Thanks-

aenlic