X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • roadnsky
    Afourian MVP
    • Dec 2008

Kinda late to the game, but another "solo" device is the MASTMATE.

I've had one for years and it's been great.
    Attached Files
    -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
    sigpic
    1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Ando
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
      Kinda late to the game, but another "solo" device is the MASTMATE.

I've had one for years and it's been great.
      Does that stay on the mast, or do you have to take it down after using it?

Comment

• roadnsky
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

Originally posted by Ando View Post
        Does that stay on the mast, or do you have to take it down after using it?
        You raise it using the Main halyard and track.
        Because of that, yes, you take it down after use.
        Assuming, of course, you want to use your Mainsail
        Attached Files
        -Jerry

'Lone Ranger'
        sigpic
        1978 RANGER 30

Comment

• Administrator
          MMI Webmaster
          • Oct 2004

The last time I went up a mast, it was on a not-so-close friend's boat, which is even dumber than going up your own mast.

I don't do aerials in our volunteer fire company anymore either.

Bill

Comment

• Ando
            • Jul 2019

Hey now, Admin

I really did not want to go up there and I called riggers, but they couldn't come out. So I did what I had to do.

Comment

• Administrator
              MMI Webmaster
              • Oct 2004

Of course. I wasn't criticizing your judgment, and I apologize if you took it that way. People go up the mast all the time. If given a choice, I don't.

Bill

Comment

• Ando
                • Jul 2019

Overheating Assistance Please

Ok guys, RWC late model with overheating which I plan on tackling this weekend. A bit of background, I recently did a muriatic flush of the cooling system. Today, to prepare for this weekend's task of resolving the overheating (and hopefully to get a better idea where there might be a block in the cooling system) I got a laser heat gun and at about the 15 min mark pointed it at different points of the engine and these are the readings that I got.

Thermostat gauge went from 140 to 160;

Spark plugs were in the range of 180-185 (#4 being the hottest);

A bunch of points all over the head were around 160-174

Manifold was mostly cool (like 150 or less) so was the area around the thermostat housing and the water jacket plate was even cooler.

The connection from the manifold to the exhaust was very high (like 340)!

Does this point to the area of the blockage in the cooling system being at the manifold exhaust connection? Is that where I should start looking for the blockage? I read somewhere that that particular connection is a common problem area. All input appreciated. Thx in advance
                Last edited by Ando; 07-29-2020, 06:00 PM.

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                  Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
                  • Nov 2008

Does this point to the area of the blockage in the cooling system being at the manifold exhaust connection? Is that where I should start looking for the blockage? I read somewhere that that particular connection is a common problem area. All input appreciated. Thx in advance
                  If there is a 90 degree bend in the barbs going into or out of the manifold there is high probability that is where the blockage is, especially at the outlet 90 degree barb. I got so sick and tired of blockages at the outlet 90 degree barb I went to straight barbs. Solved the problem - no more blockages.
                  As you probably know you can flush the KRAP out of the manifold with city water pressure. I recommend it.
                  Do you have the Thatch Modification? The Thatch Modification introduces cooling water in to the manifold at the low end which eliminates air pockets and makes for better manifold cooling.
                  You would get more responses if you would start a new thread for each new "adventure".

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Ando
                    • Jul 2019

Yes, ndutton told me about the thatch mod and I do have it set up like that. I'll check to see about that 90 degree barb once I get back there. Thx so much, Prof. Emeritus

Comment

• ndutton
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

While those numbers seem a little high for a RWC engine, I'm not seeing a big problem. What suggests it's OVERheating? What am I missing?
                      Neil
                      1977 Catalina 30
                      San Pedro, California
                      prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                      Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Ando
                        • Jul 2019

Piece of mind when I'm out there. It's bothering me. When I rev it, it goes up to 180 and smoke has now started coming out the back. It's clearly smoke, just like the old engine did before I killed due to lack of oil 180 is just too close to 220 to me, especially when I'm out there.

Side note: I checked the oil level today and it was low so I'll be doing an oil change this weekend as well.

Also, I remember the adventure I've been on before and although I appreciate it and the people I've met along the way and the knowledge I've gained, I dont want to re-live it, I guess I'm just extra sensitive. Ignorance is bliss. I spent a lot time and mental energy in getting a replacement engine and refurbishing it with your help it and did so in time for this sailing season and I want it to tick like a clock and work as it should. That's it. I mean, shouldn't be getting no hotter than say, what, like 160 when I push the throttle? Right?

Comment

• JOHN COOKSON
                          • Nov 2008

When I rev it, it goes up to 180 and smoke has now started coming out the back. It's clearly smoke, just like the old engine did before I killed due to lack of oil

Side note: I checked the oil level today and it was low so I'll be doing an oil change this weekend as well.
                          Smoke coming out the exhaust when the engine is revved up after idle; oil is disappearing: Aren't these the classic signs of "burning oil"? Are the spark plugs fouling?
                          Sounds to me like you need a dry and wet compression test.

ex TRUE GRIT

Comment

• Ando
                            • Jul 2019

I’ll check the spark plugs this weekend, but a “wet and dry compression test” is novel to me. How do I do that? What do you mean wet and dry?

Comment

• ndutton
                              Afourian MVP
                              • May 2009

A few questions/suggestions re: elevated heat:
                              1. If installed, please remove the flow sensor until after troubleshooting is complete.
                              2. How old is the water pump?
                              3. Have you acid flushed this engine?
                              4. Is a bypass valve installed? If yes, try removing the thermostat and closing the bypass valve.
                              Neil
                              1977 Catalina 30
                              San Pedro, California
                              prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
                              Had my hands in a few others

Comment

• Dave Neptune
                                • Jan 2007

Ando. first do the "dry test". Be sure the batteries are fully charged, all spark plugs removed, choke open and the throttle set to full. Now do a compression test on each cylinder. I do them twice for checking MY consistancy. That is the dry test.

Wet test is the SECOND test. Now "spray" some WD-40 or spray oil of some sort into the cylinders. Now test again while the cylinder is wet with oil. The oil will fill some of the gaps in the rings if they are worn and you should see "more compression" if the rings are bad. If the compression numbers stay the same and are low you may have valve issues.

Dave Neptune

Comment

Working...
                                X