X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Michael Edwards
    • May 2010

Sonic spark plugs

Alright folks, this is an interesting modification to spark plugs.

They use OEM spec plugs and drill a small hole in the ground strap to create an ultra-sonic wave in the air/fuel mix.
    The discussion on the web-site is interesting reading.
    On our A4, I have made changes that have made the engine purr, especially the temperature control valve and heat exchanger that keeps it steady at 180*. And the prop (10x7) that gives us a comfortable 1800 RPM and 5.5kts cruise speed (GPS).
    I'm curious to hear feedback on the science of these spark plugs.
  • lat 64
    Afourian MVP
    • Oct 2008

Both web sites show some random and nonlinear writing.
    Not much makes sense to me, Just a lot of what may be cleaver thinking but not presented as understandable.
    sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

• The Garbone
      • Dec 2013

I think your time would be better spent building a tuned intake and airbox... Maybe look into a keihin fuel injection system, mapping would be easy since you would always be at sea level. Plugs, not so much..
      Gary
      78' Catalina 30 #1179
      www.svknotaclew.wordpress.com

Comment

• 67c&ccorv
        Afourian MVP
        • Dec 2008

He was able to get a patent on the invention - interesting...not very expensive either.

Comment

• Dave Neptune
          Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus
          • Jan 2007

Ionizing

There was a big deal raised in the mid 70's with the same ideology. It was a series of induction coils "wired in series" and connected to the plugs and the plug wire plugged into the coil(s). There were all kinds of claims as to better millage and increased performance and of course it was recommended that you replace the plugs and do an "archaic" tune up IE replacing the points and setting the timing~sound familiar? The increase in millage and performance was due to the tune up mostly.
          A reputable shop I won't mention that I was associated with had an employee (hi end engine builder) tell the guys that it really did make a difference. His BIL installed a set in an old something and he found that his partially fouled plugs did run cleaner. Well that shop set up a dyno and began testing some older engines and it did seem to help a bit. They did not find any gains but did find that the plugs seemed cleaner. So they set up a BB Chevy 7K RPM engine with a Mallory "rev-pole" style dual point distributor~top of the line at the time and started testing. They could find no gains but indeed the plugs did stay cleaner again. So they decided to make there own "ionizing system " only making there own more powerful coils and as testing continued again no gains but the very slightly cleaner plug. After 4 or 5 sets of ionizing coils and still being intrigued a much hotter coil was tried. At around 6,000 RPM's under a big load of probably 700 HP the engine burped and big parts of the crank and a few rods and pistons exited the engine through the pan and crank galley in a hurry. A total loss!!
          What happened was that enough induction built up so the "ionizing" coils actually created a series of sparks that were not part of the "timing" and sparks flew with the pistons in various positions, that was the shudder during the "burp" and the end of a very nice engine.
          Those devices were around for about 3 maybe 4 years.
          These plugs may indeed ionioze slightly or it is just the hole starting a "larger" and somewhat warmer area around the tip of the plug and this would only be effective at idle and very low RPM's, kinda like an increase in "gap".

Dave Neptune

Comment

• joe_db
            Afourian MVP
            • May 2009

Just get an MSD ignition box. You'll get several sparks at 3,000 RPM and below instead of one and "ionize" the crap out of your engine with no timing issues. One of my spring projects.
            Joe Della Barba
            Coquina
            C&C 35 MK I
            Maryland USA

Comment

• romantic comedy
              Afourian MVP
              • May 2007

What happened with MSD anyway? There was a time that was high tech.

Comment

• joe_db
                Afourian MVP
                • May 2009

They are still very much in business.
                Joe Della Barba
                Coquina
                C&C 35 MK I
                Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
                  Afourian MVP
                  • Sep 2008

When I was re-building engines and tinkering/tuning my early 90's Civic, MSD was all over the place..they were a popular replacement for the standard Honda resistor box style multi-point fuel injection/ignition system, which was just fine at 100-110HP stock Honda motors, but wasn't up to the task during what I call the ricer revolution, when they were modifying the crap out of the motors and slapping on turbos and stuff.
                  Last edited by sastanley; 01-10-2014, 10:58 AM.
                  -Shawn
                  "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
                  "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
                  sigpic

Comment

• hanleyclifford
                    Afourian MVP
                    • Mar 2010

Trying to Wrap Brain Around This

So let me get this straight: should I drill a small hole in the spark plug ground strap and get better engine performannce?

Comment

• joe_db
                      Afourian MVP
                      • May 2009

If you read their tech notes, they can be triggered by a Pertonix Ignitor or the stock points. One thing that would be a hassle is unwiring it to check the timing unless you can find a timing light that can deal with multiple sparks. Any speed below 3,000 RPM and it will fire each plug several times. You do get around the coil heat issue because these units don't store energy in the coils.
                      Joe Della Barba
                      Coquina
                      C&C 35 MK I
                      Maryland USA

Comment

• lat 64
                        Afourian MVP
                        • Oct 2008

Originally posted by sastanley View Post
                        When I was re-building engines and tinkering/tuning my early 90's Civic, MSD was all over the place..they were a popular replacement for the standard Honda resistor box style multi-point fuel injection/ignition system, which was just fine at 100-110HP stock Honda motors, but wasn't up to the task during what I call the ricer revolution, when they were modifying the crap out of the motors and slapping on turbos and stuff.
                        I found the cheapest way to get more pep out of a Honda Civic was to drain the oil. Discovered this when the engine was low on oil. It seemed to be a zooming' machine. Topped up the oil and it was just a regular Honda again.

Fun Quiz:
                        Can you figure out why?
                        sigpic Whiskeyjack a '68 Columbia 36 rebuilt A-4 with 2:1

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Comment

Working...
                        X