• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SoMD Terp
    • Apr 2016

Continue to look

Originally posted by roadnsky View Post
    ASSUMING that you used black pipe, did you use a heat WRAP around the pipe?
    That heat wrap will take a few hours to "burn in" and will have a burning smell to it.
    Keep the cabin well ventilated until it sets.

NOTE: IF you didn't wrap the pipe, that could possibly account for a small leak.
    I ended up using galvanized pipe (sastanley, Dyson's didn't have black iron in the correct size) for it and wrapped it with "titanium lava fiber" from Amazon. That may account for the change in smell, but there is still a leak somewhere for me to find.

Originally posted by thatch View Post
    SoMd Terp, Way back in the first post of this thread you mentioned that you have a Catalina 30. About three years ago I replaced the 20 odd feet of the soft section of my C-30s exhaust and was amazed at it's horribly "leaky" condition. It's run goes from the water-lift, behind the stove, up to the gunnel area, through a check valve and around to the stern. There are a couple of "pinch" areas that makes pulling in the new hose a challenge. I wound up removing the stove temporarily and cutting an 8" round access port to make things easier. If yours has not been replaced, I would suspect that at least part of your exhaust leak is from that hose. Hope this helps.
    Tom
    That sounds very painful. The leak still seems to be coming from the engine compartment, so I'm hoping this isn't the case for me. The exhaust out the stern is quite smokey, so maybe I am just getting more smoke than in the past, which has exposed the leak(s). I'll see what dumping the MMO in the carb gets me.

Comment

• joe_db
      Afourian MVP
      • May 2009

Galvanized pipe gives off poisonous fumes from the zinc when heated. You can actually get sick with a flue like illness from this called "metal fever" for obvious reasons
      You need to run the boat with all hatches open and keep yourself out of the fumes until it burns off. I would be tempted to do this job over with black iron.
      Joe Della Barba
      Coquina
      C&C 35 MK I
      Maryland USA

Comment

• sastanley
        Afourian MVP
        • Sep 2008

SoMD Terp. As always, give me a shout via PM. I am busy the next month or so, but it is too hot to work on boats right now anyway. I have done the work thatch mentioned of replacing all the soft hose..really not too bad but, you need two people. It was a one afternoon job.

P.S.> I have had to resort to galvanized pipe in these parts too...just heed the off gassing warnings from other forumites.

Holler when you want some help.
        Last edited by sastanley; 08-29-2018, 10:36 PM.
        -Shawn
        "Holiday" - '89 Alura 35 #109
        "Twice Around" - '77 C-30, #511 with original A-4 & MMI manifold - SOLD! (no longer a two boat owner!!)
        sigpic

Comment

Working...
        X