View Single Post
  #24   IP: 138.207.172.243
Old 05-30-2019, 05:18 PM
Afourian MVP Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by wristwister View Post
Not sure I agree with this. Up here in the PNW, a well equipped, good condition C30 sells for $15K to $20K. Based on what I'm reading in this thread, it seems that $6K Moyer engine might not be a bad investment.

Yes, a good running used engine for ~$1K might be a better investment, but also riskier. Unless that engine can be run and tested for compression etc. prior to buying it, it's like Gump's box of chocolates. I've heard too many horror stories that begin with "I think it ran when we pulled it out" and "a previous owner told me it had been rebuilt".

Good luck! If that Cat 30 were here on the left coast, I'd snap it up for a song, rebuild an A4 in my garage for about $1500, toss that puppy in there and flip that boat (for profit, not literally in the water).
I'm confused - you say you disagree with the point that a Moyer rebuild might not get the return on value but close by saying you'd do exactly as I mentioned and put in a rebuilt A4 and sell it.

Here on the Chesapeake, there are many sailboats in the 28 to 32 foot range that are in good or better condition that can be had for $6,000 that do not need an engine. This is who Katy is competing with. I do wish her luck and hope she lets us know how it goes!
Repowered with MMI A-4 2008