View Single Post
  #17   IP: 138.207.172.243
Old 05-28-2019, 08:57 AM
Afourian MVP Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kday View Post
What I would really like to do is to sell the boat to someone who wants to put in an engine themselves. I'm paying storage fees and I was hoping to find someone who wants a great boat at a great price that they can customize. Think I'm unrealistic?
Hi Katie, just a few thoughts from a fellow Eastern Shorean. It's now prime sailing season here, so those buyers looking to buy are mostly looking for "turn key" situations rather than projects. Your engine-less boat sits in Cambridge, so your potential buyer will take that into account when comparing boats as well. When I bought my current boat, I did it the other way round than what you have going on: I bought a brand new MMI rebuild inside a very worn Tartan 30. I made the deal in November with new storage fees on the horizon for the seller and like Neil, the $16,000 asking price dropped to $4 grand.

Project boats are peculiar things. The fact is, this boat doesn't sound as much like a true project boat as it does a simple re-power. Just drop another A-4 in the old girl. Kinda like the transmission going out on a vintage and well-kept '67 Ford Mustang doesn't make it a project so much as it means finding the right buyer. You said you took out the old A-4 so I'm guessing you could put another one back in? Here's one up the road in Chester that is on Craigslist for $1,500.

Atomic 4 for Sale Chester, MD

Strip the cracked block and sell the parts here or on Ebay/Craigslist and maybe you'll not be too deep into a used A-4?

If it were me, I'd put an ad on Craigslist and see what happens. You never know! I sold my last boat on Craigslist at asking price in about 15 minutes on Craigslist. In December!
Repowered with MMI A-4 2008

Last edited by TomG; 05-28-2019 at 08:59 AM.