View Single Post
  #1   IP: 47.16.178.29
Old 05-26-2019, 08:44 PM

Engine stalls when throttle returns to idle

I am having the following issue with my engine now. It starts fine and idles ok between 1000 and 1100 rpm. This was the case all last season and at some point I'd like to figure out how to make it idle closer to 800 rpm, but this is not a current issue. When I open throttle the engine accelerates fine. However when I bring throttle back to idle my engine stalls. Some times if I move throttle slowly the rpm will drop to 800 there is some hesitation after which idle rpm returns to 1000+. I don't know if this is the aftermath of water in the engine issue that I had earlier in the spring:

http://www.moyermarineforum.com/foru...ad.php?t=11059

Today I tried to figure out whats going on, so here is what I tried and some observations.

1. I have good fuel pressure after pump (there is a gauge there).
2. I drained some fuel from the carb and it looks clean.
3. I cleaned up the carburetor and replaced gasket between two halves.

At this point I run engine again and still had the same issue. I also noticed that only large adjustments to the idle screw had any noticeable effects.

4. Checked and cleaned spark plugs. Turned out the gap was about 0.02, which I have adjusted to 0.04. This improved things a bit, but did not eliminate issue completely.

I am hoping someone could help me identify the issue and suggest what I could try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.