View Single Post
  #14   IP: 73.83.157.183
Old 05-13-2019, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndutton View Post
Please read back through the replies in this thread. Dave Neptune, Tim and Thatch have tried to explain that poor compression is not a death sentence by itself. Those three guys are among the best this forum has to offer so please, please heed their advice.
Certainly didn't miss that I'm reading up on how exactly to do that test and what equipment I need.

But if I need to have the block machined... for oversized pistons... I wouldn't bother. I've received quotes for the A4 machine labor and rebuild and the cost came out to be nearly $4,500 at two shops. At that price, I'd rather purchase a turn key rebuilt engine from Moyer Marine.

The day turned around with some great news. I inspected the replacement A4 engine and completed a compression test. 120 all around! Went ahead and bought it for $450. It came with everything for the fresh water cooling system too.

I'm about to order some gaskets to replace while I have it out. Possibly do the oil pump too since I'll drop the oil pan?

By the way.. there's a oil drain plug on the bottom front, right? Leaked a bit as soon as I got it home.

Attached Images