View Single Post
  #11   IP: 216.115.121.240
Old 09-15-2011, 12:16 PM
Afourian MVP

Domenic,
It seems all your complaints and likes of the Columbia boats are present in my 1968 Columbia 36 too.
Regarding that deck joint; Some P.O. tried caulking in the top of the aluminum "H" extrusion to keep out water. I don't think it was too effective. I get mystery water under the deck from time to time, but I have so much to do that I haven't chased it down.

My boat has been sitting in the water for 43 years! It does not even come out for the winter. The hull is still sound, it's just the deck that was not built to last through the ages. I use my boat mostly as a poor man's cabin-by-the-sea. but it sails well and is fun. I guess the light top is because it was a racer/cruiser so the top was made a bit lighter. I'm sure no one thought this boat would really be in service after 40 years

At first I thought the keel bolts were a bad design, but now I'm enlightened. They are relatively easy to replace. I did mine in the water at the slip.(one at a time) I also drilled new holes down thrugh the keelson to put a few extra sistered bronze keel bolts in and I was delighted to find dry mahogany under the bilge fiberglass. I understand the keel was bedded in polysulfide or something. It was still bonded and the goo was still good.

The A-4:
Others have seen my boasts of a huge engine space I refer to as my engine "room". The prop is visible from the dock, and I can clean it with a long brush just standing on the float.

Russ

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Last edited by lat 64; 09-15-2011 at 12:26 PM.