View Single Post
  #51   IP: 107.77.97.81
Old 05-18-2019, 02:15 AM
Afourian MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by infy View Post
Pretty smart trick with the balloon. I don't have compression since the head is off.. in fact, I have no compression with in on either

So I'm just looking to get No.1, No.2, etc to TDC so I can adjust valve clearances on each on the compression stroke.

I plan to replace all 8 valves and guides this weekend. Then set the clearances, install a new head gasket, and cross my fingers.

I wish I had access to a dial bore gauge so I could check for roundness, taper, and bore on the cylinders while I have access to them. The tool is $200.... and I'm not going to need it again for a long time
This is a job that is done in preparation to a full valve seat grind. You will not get satisfactory results.Your valves are most likely fine, as well the cylinder bore. You are confusing us with all this talk about some basic engine diagnostics mixed with advanced engine machine work techniques. Most of which is unessesary for this resurrection. Measuring an engine for a rebuild is an art more than a science and cannot be learned from youtube.

These A-4 don't wear out, they just go bad from sitting around and getting rusty and stuck valves. work things loose, lube it up, and put it back together.
You are getting advice on this forum from probably the best source, and if we go wrong, Don Moyers and Co. would set us straight and you on the right path.

"Since when is napping doing nothing?"

Last edited by lat 64; 05-18-2019 at 02:18 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lat 64 For This Useful Post:
Dave Neptune (05-19-2019), thatch (05-18-2019), TimBSmith (09-26-2020)