View Single Post
  #10   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 07-12-2018, 08:26 PM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by blairm87 View Post
Thank, Neil. My home port is Newport Beach, CA. With the Santa Ana winds and tides in Southern Cal, I think a 3 blade would help me navigate the marinas and channel islands when I need a bit of help compensating for my mediocre sailing skills. Any suggested on a maker for a 3-blade prop that would work well with my 2:1 reduction?
I recommend checking at Minney's and ebay frequently so that you can do some testing without breaking the bank. The going rate for a professional diver to change a prop in the water is $175.00. Do not get rid of your existing prop until you have a replacement that meets your expectations, you may find you were better off where you started. Prop selection is something of a black art.

Otherwise, Federal Propeller, Michigan Wheel, AAA Propeller (local to you, used to be located on Industrial Way just West of Newport Blvd).

I can also report I made the change last year from a 12x7 fixed 2 blade prop (direct drive) to a 10x8 fixed 2 blade. The reduction in reverse prop walk was significant (all other factors remained equal of course).

edit:
Watch your prop tip clearance. Factory practice was a minimum of 1 shaft diameter between the prop tip and the hull.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 07-12-2018 at 08:29 PM.