View Single Post
  #122   IP: 70.186.109.11
Old 07-07-2018, 10:17 PM

Today's update

Since was rainy and overcast, that made a good day to go work on the boat.

Got the motor mounts all turned straight, where one was crooked. All bolts into the floor thru the mounts and tightened.

After an hour of trying to get the 2nd exhaust manifold bolt installed but failing, a slip neighbor came by and offered to help. I held the exhaust stack in position and within 2 minutes he had the 2nd bolt screwed in and tightened.
I thanked him profusely cuz it had been driving me crazy not to be able to get that bolt in.

Left a water line loose and cranked the engine over. Saw water dripping from the line. This was to prove the new impeller was working. Tightened line.

Tried to crank engine. Was doing that skipping style noise like it did when I first got it. Sorta wanting to start but sorta not. Pulled a plug, no spark.

Pulled the cap off the distributor to find the rotor was not locked into position. Apparently when I installed the magnetic ring for the pertronix, I didn't put it low enough on the center post. Took a deep socket and tap tap tap, till it was bottomed out. Reinstalled the rotor(which locked in now) and cap. Hit the key. It fired instantly. Ran rough but I knew that was because I had turned the timing when installing the pertronix kit. Did a little left/right distributor adjustment till I found a relatively smooth idle.
Put it in fwd gear and got a knock knock noise and knew what it was immediately.

I had bought 3 new coupling bolts that were too long. Left one in place with extra washers but it looks like when you go to fwd gear, the extra length is just enough to scrape on the trans housing. That's the knock knock as the shaft rotates. Went to neutral and didn't try again. That bolt has to come out and the original bolt put back in.

So in this adventure I've gone from knowing not much about the prop coupling to having it back together and working with only minor issues.

May actually get to take it out for the 2nd time some day!
Hull #61
Atomic 4

Last edited by CajunSpike; 07-07-2018 at 10:19 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to CajunSpike For This Useful Post:
tenders (07-08-2018)