View Single Post
  #12   IP: 104.254.68.254
Old 05-22-2018, 06:24 AM

An update on my issue - still not running.

A member has been an incredible (and calming) direct help, but i wanted to give an update of symptoms and see what everyone thinks.

I've installed the electric fuel pump upgrade. THAT was fun. The plugs, after cranking, have a fuel smell now. I don't think they did before. The motor has good compression...from back to front 100, 110, 100, 100. A mechanic friend and I tested for spark (before the fuel pump install) and he said it was blue, but small...but pronounced it good spark.

Shooting ether into the intake does not fire it up...i guess it sounds like it's trying, but does not 'run'. (this is with me shooting it in, racing up to the cockpit, and cranking...does it evaporate that quickly?

Smoke does come out of the exhaust port. i noticed the exhaust pipe right by the engine gets warm.

I -think- there's a bit of fuel coming out the bottom of the carb. There's a half-inch bolt in a vertical orientation i'm told should be the main jet? The thought was that a bad seal may be introducing air into the system. It does not move when trying to tighten.

My next thing to try is removing that bolt to drain the bowl.

Ultimately, i guess i may have to overnight a carburetor. The rebuild kit is 90, and a replacement is 320. Time is of the essence, so i'd just get the replacement. Before doing so, i'm hoping there's another way!

Thoughts?

former owner of Euphoria - a 1971 Tartan 30 with an Atomic 4