View Single Post
  #7   IP: 96.229.18.9
Old 04-29-2013, 09:05 AM
Afourian MVP, Professor Emeritus

Thanked 1,289 Times in 839 Posts
As many on the site know I am a bit of a carb nut and I love to tinker too. I have had my carb opened a and closed as many as 8 times in a single day testing jetting sequences and such. My engine is very tired and now on her 43 year of service. I did replace an exhaust valve though when I bought her in 83'. I traded A-4 mechanic for some work on his valve tooling and he traded me a factory new A-4 carb in the box and the tools to redo my seat in the boat. That is also the only time the head was off too.
I have not done a rebuild of the carb since but I have taken it apart many times while tinkering and did not do anything but change parts check the gasket and back underway again.
I had a bad water enchroachment a few years back after some heavy rains ans a missing deck-fil 0-ring. I drained the water out from under the fuel and drained the carb on the motor. She fired right up and has been doing so since. I also start the season with my old O/B fuel and lawn toy gas too dumped into the non finiky A-4 for consumption.

I will note that the more you use the engine the less fuel related issues you'll face. Those that seem to have the most perplexing problems are those who mostly sail and use the lil beastie below to just get in and out of the slip. When fuel gets old and the engine does not use much of it things do start to gum up. I have been using the E-fuel for a long time with no issues but my engine usually motors me to my island a 5 hour trip early before the wind fills in. Then I start her before leaving for safety as I almost always sail off the mooring. When sailing off I do have the beastie below ready incase and then she is shut down usually before I ma through the mooring field.

As stated I am a bit of a carb guy and the problems in the carb are alomost always from something upstream.

Dave Neptune