View Single Post
  #11   IP: 32.211.28.40
Old 04-15-2019, 09:14 PM
Afourian MVP

As for that Sierra hose - check the USCG rating on it. You want a hose that's USCG A1-15 with an ID to suit whatever's at the top end. Trident makes the stuff in sizes from 1/4 to 5/8 ID. You do not want a hose with a B classification, which is only for outboard use. The broken hose you show was probably selected because it fit, NOT because is was compatible long term with alcohol/gasoline fuels.
Agree with 'ditch the screen'. My chipper/shredder has a screen in the tank, but my A4 had a Racor primary filter plus a secondary filter at the line into the carb. But even these filters are not fool proof - the ones I've seen use carbon steel in the filter body or the filter shell and will eventually send their own corrosion products downstream. Don't believe me? Use a magnet.
Alcohol fuels collect moisture and moisture will corrode carbon steel. Sure adds to the fun of boating when your 'last ditch' filter is sending its own crud into your carb!
Sorry if this turned into a rant. Learning the stuff above probably cost me a season of boating, which at my age, I miss.