View Single Post
  #1   IP: 73.234.59.26
Old 07-31-2020, 06:07 AM

Help: How to wire the old gauges?

So I finally got my engine started yesterday for the first time after my major rebuild! Felt pretty good. I went through the troubleshooting standards on here and from Don’s bulletins after no start. Got my timing on point as well from the schematics on here which was great. Printed those out to leave in my binder...I am thankful for this community!

However, I did not let her run for long because I could not get my gauges to work. I wired them the same as how they came with the boat so now I am thinking they were wired wrong already. So I need help figuring this out.

These old gauges don’t have any labels/letters in back of them to indicate what is what. So I figured some of the more experienced heads on here know exactly what is what...I assume these old gauges had a standard for the left post and right post hence the lack of labeling...I posted a pic of the before and after...again, just trying to get an idea of what goes to left and what goes to right posts...Not the best pics but figured they would help to see what I am looking at...

Center is ammeter, left is temp gauge, right is oil pressure. On the left temp gauge, that one has 4 posts...I assume one is for lighting and the other gauges have no lights hence only two posts...I assume the extra 4th post on this temp gauge that appears to be connecting to light so that you can jump it to other gauges with lights?

BTW: I do plan on replacing these as well as all wiring in the near future...but for now, I just wanna get out there after a 5 year restoration of my boat!

I always run a search before posting but I could not find any about this one...
Attached Images

Last edited by southcoasting; 07-31-2020 at 06:19 AM. Reason: Adding more info