View Single Post
  #1   IP: 24.190.18.96
Old 07-16-2020, 08:01 PM

accessory Pulley for alternator

After many seasons of hanging on .. the alternator belt and I finally parted ways .
I have had the replacement belt on board for 2 seasons .

I looked a very easy job , drop the alternator down a bit and install the new
belt .BUT
Much to my horror I have less than 1/8 inch clearance between the block
and the pulley . The block is caked in crud ,the new belt will never get passed it
No problem . I look up some old threads and Don says popping of the pulley is an acceptable method of repair . ( if its good enough for Don its good enough for me ) I drop the starter and pull the pulley ...and clean out all crud off the block removing about an 1/8 to 1/4 of inch crud flakes .

Amazing how much rust can be formed from a small bit of iron .

Sooo very proud of myself for this quick and easy repair . I line up the
pulley and the spindle and the Key ... and to my horror I cant get the pulley back on .
its like the spindle has swollen ,once free of the pulley ( that cant happen can it ).

Please any help on this thread would be much appreciated .I am going to do battle after work tomorrow .

SECOND question is can I run the engine without the pulley attached .

I just installed two new group 27 batts so I feel i can run the engine on one battery for hours saving the other battery as house battery .

Third question .. I installed a new MM water pump two seasons ago .
shoud I see a wee bit of water from the weep hole ?

Amazing the things you see when you crawl around under there with a
spelunker lamp on your head.

“Believe me, my young friend, there is nothing - absolutely nothing - half so much worth doing- as simply messing about in boats.”
― Kenneth Grahame