View Single Post
  #12   IP: 207.118.20.35
Old 08-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Afourian MVP

idle jet is the bottleneck.

When you pulled the carb apart, did you remove the jets, particularly the idle jet, and inspect it for blockage? If not, did you run a wire from a wire brush around in the jet to dislodge any crud? Spraying through it with carb cleaner may not be enough. If you did neither, you haven't really cleaned the carb. Your rebuilt carb may have an issue, if your fuel is clean. Your fuel may look clean when you inspect it, but it only takes one tiny particle to partially clog the idle jet. Also run a wire in the small holes in the side of the carb throat, above the butterfly valve. Did you replace the fuel filters when replacing the carb?
Does the choke open and close all the way? If it doesn't close all the way it won't start cold. If it doesn't open enough, it won't run well if at all, and the plugs foul.
If you suspect crud in the fuel, replace the fuel filters when you clean the carb. Clogged filters will send crud into the carb. and restrict fuel flow.The gradual sputtering death indicates a fuel problem. Drain your water separator filter to check for water in the bowl.
On my boat I can remove the starter button from the panel, and into the interior above the engine, to crank it while looking at the spark, but a remote start switch is better.
I think it's essential to use MMO in the fuel. My theory is it lubricates the inside of the carb and helps keep crud from sticking in the jets. Stabilizer is not the same thing.

Last edited by capnward; 08-14-2019 at 12:06 PM. Reason: to much attributed to MMO