View Single Post
  #6   IP: 24.152.132.140
Old 10-29-2018, 10:36 AM
Afourian MVP

Thanked 2,208 Times in 1,425 Posts
Other than my own Westsail I never built a boat with a prop in an aperture. However, I'm not sure that matters. Prop tip proximity/water jetting would apply in either case. I'm not advocating for one standard over another, only providing what the standard was at several boat manufacturers. One thing is for sure, ¼" clearance is way too close by any standard so a reduction in Greg's prop diameter will be a significant improvement. Also, I should have mentioned in my earlier post that the dimension was a minimum.

Deadwood is a factor though. Greg's only thrust comes from the outer half of the prop's diameter so a size reduction hits him where it matters most.

edit:
Correction, the Freeport 41 and Gulf 32 both had aperture props and both were built during my involvement at Islander and Capital respectively. Tip clearances applied the same.

Here's another little oddity that comes to mind. If you ever get a chance to see a Gulf 32 out of the water, even a picture, look for the two hernias in the hull underbody a little aft of amidships, port and stbd. They are there to allow interior space for the engine to fit low in the hull.
prior boats 1987 Westsail 32, 1970 Catalina 22
Had my hands in a few others

Last edited by ndutton; 10-29-2018 at 12:02 PM.