View Single Post
  #63   IP: 24.244.145.188
Old 03-19-2019, 02:39 PM
Afourian MVP

Wow! I didn't realize it had been almost 3 weeks since my last post!

After spending 3 days in Bimini, we set out for Great Harbor Cay in the Berries. In order to get in ahead of some upcoming weather, we did it as a single 16 hour overnight run.

Spent 6 days in Great Harbor. I've always liked this Cay. We met a number of other cruisers at the marina, rented a jeep (Suzuki Sidekick) for the day, drove from the "Ghost Town" at the northern tip to the beautiful shelling beach at the south, had lots of lobster and fresh fish, and generally had a great time.

We left Great Harbor, looped around the cruise ship district in the north, and crossed Providence channel to Sandy point, on the SW end of Great Abaco Island. We had picked a good weather window and it was an easy crossing of this sometimes rough area.

We spent a few hours at anchor, but needed to leave at 1AM in order to time our arrival at the Sea of Abaco at Little Harbour Inlet so as to have slack high tide and the sun behind us. I had originally planned to the anchor behind Lynyard Cay, but more weather was coming the next day, so we pressed on North all the way to Marsh Harbour, where we anchored.

Marsh Harbour is an OK place, but it's more like the Florida Keys than the Bahamas. Four (!) hardware stores, a real full-sized grocery, numerous resturants and marinas. But this makes it a good place to reprovision, so we did.

Our friend Bill also left us here, catching a flight out and back home to the frozen north (Baltimore).

A really severe front was predicted to be coming through on tue-wed, so we wanted to move before then so as to not be stuck in Marsh Harbour for that long. So, on Sunday we moved to a mooring in the NW mooring field in Man O War cay. This place is bombproof, with all around shelter, but the moorings are spaced VERY close. Less than one boat length between boats!

It's now tue afternoon, and it's raining like mad with winds 25-28 kts, but zero chop in here. Great for the wind generator!